Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Sorry, couldn't wait til tomorrow

Okay, today was the first day of school for the munchkin, she started Union Elementary, no biggie. I went there. Phillipsburg Elementary was closed so now she goes there. She's been very excited about starting, she's not complained about going to Union, although she did say she was really going to miss going to P-burg.
When all the shenanigans went on about closing the school it seemed that P-burg parents were the only ones that didn't want it to happen. Supposedly, everybody in Union was groovy with it. Now school has started and there is not happiness to see the P-burg kids. Union parents are complaining about the buses and this and that.
So here's my gripe. If you have issues about what has happened and/or you don't like the fact that P-burg kids now have to go to Union and share the school with your kids etc, fine. I understand that. However, I don't think you need to voice it where the kiddies can hear you. I know my daughter will be fine with all this, (although she mentioned when she got home that She was afraid she wouldn't fit in) but she doesn't or any other kid there does not need to hear parents saying "Those Phillipsburg kids this, and that" or vice versa. We're the adults, we should set the example and complain to the right people and do it while the little people aren't around.
I am usually okay with the whole going to school thing - I never got upset or boo-hooed when she stepped her little foot on the bus. But this year, I've felt a little anxious and yes, concerned. It's over, it's done with, nobody is going to change it - we just have to handle it.

I will now step down from the soapbox. ;-)

Oh, and P.S. you will not generally hear me go on like this, so I apologize in advance. Now I feel better.

1 comment:

  1. A friend of mine lives in Brookville and last night they went to open house for their kids who are in elementary school (they have it the day before school starts so that the kids can meet their teacher, etc). Anyway, she said that she was amazed at how many kids/families were there who used to attend Phillipsburg! I don't blame them!

    You're right...people should be a bit more sensitive. I've come to realize though that despite people being "grown-ups", they often still act like children & many times even worse than children!

    I'm sure your daughter will fit in eventually. First days/weeks of school are always weird when you're the new kid on the block. Soon (I hope) it will all become old hat & no one will even mention it. I'm betting the same sort of thing happened when they closed Clayton years ago.

    Hang in there! :)

    ReplyDelete